On that day, I was just a normal citizen; a normal citizen of London. Before that night, London was a very calm and peaceful city. It was so beautiful. Little did I know, it wouldn’t stay like that for long.
I was sleeping so calmly that night. It was just after midnight on 2 September, 1666. Waking up in a fright, I heard the fire whistles down through the city. Later in the night/early morning I’d been informed that there was a small fire at the bakery of Thomas Farriner on Pudding Lane, but it spread rapidly.
The mayor at the time, Sir Thomas Bloodworth, decided to use the firefighting technique of the 1600’s and demolish the building. The fire just spread.
On Monday, I was hearing stories about the fire still spreading. It was supposedly spreading north now into the heart of London. There were also rumors of suspicious foreigners starting the fires, but I knew that could not be since Farriner’s bakery was just right down the corner from my home.
Finally, after a few very miserable days, the fire died. I remember the city just being so devastated, emotionally and physically, that it still to this day makes me cringe. London is on the right track now, and rebuilding the lovely city.
No comments:
Post a Comment